TOPIC: Disruptions in Service
This week, Dan and Merlin talk about that ineffable but growing feeling of disconnection from the collections we used to treasure. Music, Photos, Movies, Books—all the stuff we increasingly entrust to The Cloud.
Seems like there's a weird confluence of changing culture and buggy technology that makes us feel sadly meh about making everything work. And that feels weird.
Also? Don't be Randyll Tarly. That guy's a total choad.
Links for this episode:
- Roller Coasters & Thrill Rides | Busch Gardens Tampa Bay
- Montu Inverted Roller Coaster | Busch Gardens Tampa
- Kumba Roller Coaster | Busch Gardens Tampa
- Medusa Steel Coaster - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
- Six Flags Great Adventure
- Rocksteady - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
- Apple May Introduce Next-Gen Natural Language API in its Amazon Echo Competitor - Mac Rumors
- Pessimists Archive (@PessimistsArc) | Twitter
Pessimistic reactions to technologies throughout history
- New for 2016 at Six Flags Great Adventure
On this new unbelievable adventure, you'll soar outside the confines of the track in wing cars facing other riders. You'll take an elevator-style lift straight up 120 feet in the air. When you reach the top, you'll begin to tumble head-over-heels, free-falling down two beyond 90-degree raven drops and experiencing at least six weightless flips.
- SUPERMAN: Ultimate Flight | Six Flags Great Adventure
You’ll ride the way Superman flies—face down and head first. This is the ultimate way to experience the challenge of the mind-ripping new legend, the pretzel loop! Once you clear the first ten story drop, you’ll fly into this totally innovative loop design, which is really two inversions in one. You can tell from the name of the pretzel loop that you’ll be more than slightly twisted by this warped track!
- parental controls settings won't save | Apple Support Communities
- Home Internet Security | OpenDNS
- The Beast (roller coaster) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
The Beast is a wooden roller coaster located at Kings Island in Mason, Ohio. When it opened in 1979, it was the tallest, fastest, and longest wooden roller coaster in the world. The Beast is still the longest wooden coaster in the world and the longest roller coaster in the US. It spans more than 35 acres (14 ha) utilizing the surrounding terrain for many of its elements. It also features a lengthy ride time that lasts more than four minutes.
- Kings Island - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
- Brady Bunch at Kings Island 1973 pop up video - YouTube
- The Racer (Kings Island) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
The Racer is often recognized with being a vital part of the roller coaster renaissance of the 1970s, generally referred to as the industry's second golden age.
- Reconcilable Differences - Relay FM
John Siracusa and Merlin Mann try to figure out exactly how they got this way.
- Merlin Mann on Twitter: "Somehow my iTunes Match copy of "The Black Album" is now the Clean Version. I can't even tell what one of my 99 Problems isn't. Jiminy."
Somehow my iTunes Match copy of "The Black Album" is now the Clean Version.
I can't even tell what one of my 99 Problems isn't.
- MusicBrainz - The Open Music Encyclopedia
MusicBrainz is an open music encyclopedia that collects music metadata and makes it available to the public.
- MusicBrainz Picard
Picard is a cross-platform music tagger written in Python. Download Picardv1.3.2 for OS X 10.7
- The Paragons - "The Tide Is High" (Official Audio) - YouTube
The Paragons original, seminal Rock Steady version of 'The Tide Is High', as later successfully covered by Blondie and Atomic Kitten.
- I Made You a Mixtape – MacStories
I've always loved the idea of someone else making a mixtape for me.
- In Praise of the A-List - Six Colors
The A-List playlists, curated by smart music editors for each genre and updated regularly under Apple Music’s New tab, are my single favorite feature of the service.