TOPIC: Elephants all the way down.
This week, Dan and Merlin do a deep dive on communication, perception, persuasion, empathy, and understanding, as illustrated by everything from The Force Awakens to Don LaPre to PR emails to Donald Trump to a variety of elephants—plus a famous photo of a man and the fake dead triceratops he supposedly killed.
Links for this episode:
- Tai Lopez - YouTube
- xkcd: Duty Calls
- Four-quadrant movie - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
- How Donald Trump Answers A Question - YouTube
"i bumped into a LAMBORGHINI and another LAMBORGHINI and a few more LAMBORGHINIS"
- Don't Think of an Elephant!: Know Your Values and Frame the Debate--The Essential Guide for Progressives: George Lakoff, Howard Dean, Don Hazen: 9781931498715: Amazon.com: Books
- Don Lapre - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
- Don Lapre Sells Tiny Classified Ads - YouTube
- Joyce Carol Oates and that picture of Steven Spielberg with a 'dead' dinosaur | Books | The Guardian
- Blind men and an elephant - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
- ELEPHANT AND THE BLIND MEN
- A Whole Bunch Of People On Facebook Thought Steven Spielberg Killed A Real Dinosaur
- Quote by Kurt Vonnegut Jr.: “And I urge you to please notice when you are ha...”
“And I urge you to please notice when you are happy, and exclaim or murmur or think at some point, 'If this isn't nice, I don't know what is.”
—Kurt Vonnegut, A Man Without a Country
- Rey - Wookieepedia - Wikia
- Treehouse of Horror VI - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Lisa goes to the ad agency that created those advertising characters, and an executive suggests the citizens stop paying attention to the monsters as they are advertising gimmicks, and attention is what keeps them motivated.
- Five people who are much more enjoyable if you imagine them as pro wrestlers | 5ives
- Amazon.com: Metaphors We Live By (9780226468013): George Lakoff, Mark Johnson: Books
- Menopoly: female lead missing from Star Wars Monopoly game / Boing Boing
- Best Of Enemies (2015) - Rotten Tomatoes
- Work-at-home scheme - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Work-at-home schemes have been around for decades, with the classic "envelope stuffing" scam originating in the United States during the Depression in the 1920s and 1930s.
- Home Based Business Scams.html
- Get-rich-quick scheme - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
- Ruminant - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
The process of rechewing the cud to further break down plant matter and stimulate digestion is called rumination. The word "ruminant" comes from the Latin ruminare, which means "to chew over again".
- The Good Dinosaur (2015) - Rotten Tomatoes