TOPIC: Starting the stuff we haven't started.
This week—after some entertaining random talk and a handful of hardware and software recommendations—Dan and Merlin dive back into a familiar evergreen topic: why is it so hard to get started with a project? And, just as importantly, what can we learn from that persistent difficulty?
In a nut? Just start trying to suck more regularly.
Links for this episode:
- Advanced Tricycling - Merlin Mann - Constant Contact 2014
Video of Merlin's recent presentation on the elusiveness of getting better—and learning what to get better _at_. Presented on September 12, 2014 at Constant Contact's e4e Developer conference in Waltham, Mass.
- Amazon.com: Marvel Infinite Series Rocket Raccoon Figure, 3.75": Toys & Games
- List of supernatural beings in Chinese folklore - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
- Library Extension - Chrome Web Store
- Ban Lan Gen (Isatis Root)
Main functions are to clear heat-toxicity, cool blood, and relieve sore throat. Main usage and indications are macula due to pestilential toxicity invasion, high fever, headache, infection with swollen head, dark reddish purple tongue, scarlet fever, erysipelas, mumps, pharyngitis, sore boils and bunacles, chicken pox, measles, hepatitis, cold and flu, epidemic cerebrospinal meningitis, epidemic encephalitis B, pneumonia, unconsciousness, hematemesis, bleeding from five sense organs or subcutaneous tissue, swollen throat, pinkeye causing by inflammation, shingles, and osteomyelitis, etc.
- Library Extension - See book availability from your local library while you browse Amazon.com | Library Extension for Chrome
Library Extension The
- ASUS Dual-Band Wireless Router (RT-AC56U) at Amazon.com
- Amazon.com: TP-LINK TL-WR702N Wireless N150 Travel Router, Nano Size, Router/AP/Client/Bridge/Repeater Modes, 150Mpbs, USB Powered: Computers & Accessories
- Edimax N150 Wireless Personal Hotspot and Travel Router (BR-6258nL) at Amazon.com
Listener-submitted suggestions for this week's episode.
- It's Not Carpal Tunnel Syndrome!: RSI Theory and Therapy for Computer Professionals: Suparna Damany MSPT, Jack Bellis: 9780965510998: Amazon.com: Books
- Les Fleurs du mal - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
"—Hypocrite lecteur,—mon semblable,—mon frère!"
- MaxFunCon: Merlin Mann on Doing Creative Work; The Sound of Young America | Maximum Fun
Merlin Mann talks about the process of doing creative work, and particularly how to abandon the quest for perfection, get off your butt and get started.
- Situation awareness - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Situation awareness is the perception of environmental elements with respect to time and/or space, the comprehension of their meaning, and the projection of their status after some variable has changed, such as time, or some other variable, such as a predetermined event. It is also a field of study concerned with perception of the environment critical to decision-makers in complex, dynamic areas from aviation, air traffic control, ship navigation, power plant operations, military command and control, and emergency services such as fire fighting and policing
- Resource leveling - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Resource leveling as defined by PMBOK is a (project management) "technique in which start and finish dates are adjusted based on resource constraints with the goal of balancing demand for resources with the available supply".
- The Flop House
Merlin's pick for the podcast you should already be listening to and obsessing over.
- Episode #133 – Bullet to the Head The Flop House
Merlin's provisional candidate for the best episode of The Flop House to start with.
- Elf | Your Personal Email Library Reminder Service