Horseradish on My Raccoon
May 7th, 2012
1 hr 23 mins 21 secs
About this Episode
TOPIC: The Pete Campbell Problem
Ever notice how you never really "arrive?" Or, have you ever noticed that right when you think you've "arrived," you don't stay arrived for very long—but now have a whole big bunch of new stuff to do? Yeah, us too.
This week, Dan and Merlin talk about expectations, the wrong kinds of ambition, and the unquenchable lust for prestige and respect. Good practitioners practice, great leaders lead, and crummy managers just get their fingers all brown from digging around in your chocolate bag.
How to see yourself more as your team does—and less as That Guy who deserves more everything.
Because there will always be more "everything."
Links for this episode:
- Found My Place - Blog - Song: "Staying Up"
- I loved Merlin Mann’s song Staying Up so much I...
- Orchestra hit - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
- The Arrival (1996) - IMDb
- Mad Men's Pete Campbell: An interview with Vincent Kartheiser - Slate Magazine
- [SPONSOR] Email Marketing and Email List Manager | MailChimp
- [SPONSOR] Build a Website - Create a Blog - Squarespace (Extra 10% off with offer code, "`goaheadcaller`")
- Sign-up for Back to Work's BULK Bag! Newsletter
- Piriformis muscle - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
- Vanishing twin - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
- Amazon.com: Apple Magic Trackpad: Electronics
- Tapatio Hot Sauce
- Beaverton Foods - Beaver Brand Mustards, Horseradish, Mayo, Tartar, Coctail Sauce and More!
- The Dark Phoenix Saga - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
- kung fu grippe: "SCOTT! JEAN!"
- UnderscorefunkDesign (underscorefunk) on Twitter
- Underscorefunk Design
- New Order - True Faith - YouTube
- New Order - Thieves Like Us - YouTube
- New Order - Bizarre Love Triangle Music Video - YouTube
- Fireballed.org - The Anti-Fireball
- New Order - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
- New Order live, 1984, 'Temptation' - YouTube
- Cos Cob, Connecticut - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
- Pete Campbell - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
- kung fu grippe • With success comes a level of sadness. You think,...
- Patton Oswalt – "You Are Allowed 20 Birthday Parties"
- Buddhism Plain and Simple: Steve Hagen: 9780767903325: Amazon.com: Books
- Amazon.com: Impro: Improvisation and the Theatre (9780878301171): Keith Johnstone: Books
This episode of Back to Work is sponsored by our friends at Squarespace and MailChimp.