The Illusion of Ease
March 1st, 2016
2 hrs 2 mins 55 secs
About this Episode
TOPIC: That's Not How the Future Works.
This week, Dan and Merlin talk about evolving technology culture, the weird landscape of semi-smart devices, and why Merlin does and kinda doesn't do Getting Things Done so much anymore.
Links for this episode:
- Unjustly Maligned | "R.E.M., early" with Merlin Mann (Episode 48)
On a day that shouldn’t exist comes a podcast equally paradoxical. Merlin Mann joins Antony to sit still, garden at night, and talk about the passion of rock band R.E.M.’s early work.
- Notes from Japan — Medium
My trip to Japan was preceded by a truly neurotic amount of research and preparation. I am an anxious traveler (before this trip I became very concerned with precisely which bowls of ramen I should eat, and on which days), but fortunately I was able to channel some of my nervous energy into gathering advice from people who have actually spent time in Japan and know what they’re talking about.
- Terrible real estate agent photographs
- Rich Kids Of Instagram
- 70s Sci-Fi Art: atomic-chronoscaph: 1970s Lunchboxes
- Strange Magic (film) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
- WinTV Support for Linux
- The Dalrymple Report: Episode 31: Lamborghini of VR
Jim and Merlin talk about how automated technology can benefit or harm daily life, the Apple v. FBI case, and a slew of great
- [Animation] What Intersections Would Look Like in a World of Driverless Cars
- Apple confirms OS X update broke Ethernet port on some Macs, here’s how to fix | 9to5Mac
- eero - Finally, WiFi that works
- FileMaker - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
- UUCP - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
- Caddyshack (1980) - Quotes - IMDb
Sandy: I want you to kill every gopher on the course!Carl Spackler: Check me if I'm wrong Sandy, but if I kill all the golfers, they're gonna lock me up and throw away the key...Sandy: Gophers, ya great git! Not golfers! The little brown furry rodents!Carl Spackler: We can do that... we don't even have to have a reason.
- Caddyshack Kill All The Gophers - HD - YouTube
- LiarTownUSA - Bakersfield, California 1977-78 View-Master Reel:...
- Miserable Men (@miserable_men) • Instagram photos and videos
- Wreck This Journal: Keri Smith: 9780399533464: Amazon.com: Books
- Save For Web Claws
- Crazy Walls
FOR WHEN A SCRAPBOOK IS NOT CRAZY ENOUGH
- Getting Things Done: The Art of Stress-Free Productivity: David Allen: 9780142000281: Amazon.com: Books
- Pessimists Archive (@PessimistsArc) | Twitter
Pessimistic reactions to technologies throughout history
- James Burke (science historian) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
- Connections (TV series) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
- The Day the Universe Changed - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
- Ctrl-Walt-Delete: Walt and Nilay reset your router | The Verge
After Walt's review of the Eero, the duo discuss in detail the usage of wireless systems and the surprisingly numerous devices one uses in the household with a Wi-Fi internet connection.
- THRASH IT OUT
We listen to a heavy metal album, and then argue about it.
- 5by5 | Back to Work #95: She's Five for a Living
This week, Dan and Merlin start a long-overdue three-part storyline on David Allen’s book, Getting Things Done.
Brought to you by:
Casper (Visit Casper.com/backtowork and use the code BACKTOWORK for $50 towards your new mattress.)
GoToWebinar (Get started with GoToWebinar today You focus on the content. GoToWebinar handles the rest. Visit the link today to learn more).
Freshbooks (Visit the link to try FreshBooks free for 30 days and enter 'Back to Work' in the “How Did You Hear About Us?” section during sign up.)
Wealthfront (Visit wealthfront.com/5by5 to get your first $15,000 managed for free).