TOPIC: Epistemology and Parenting as Dumpster Fire
This week, Dan and Merlin end up talking a lot about what they don't know and how they know they don't know it. The biases, errors, and frames that make us feel wiser than we probably are.
Sometimes it pays to learn how to be a dummy.
Also, Dan learns what a "film projector" is.
Links for this episode:
- Heraclitus - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
- Pottermore Sorting Hat Quiz
- Amulet (comics) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
- Everyone’s offended these days / fuzzy notepad
I love Stephen Fry, really I do, but this oft-repeated quote is bullshit and he is perfectly demonstrating why that is. What he’s really saying is this: everyone else’s feelings don’t matter, but his do, because he frames them as universal rules of discourse rather than feelings.
- Merlin Mann (@hotdogsladies) | Twitter
- Too many people have peed in the pool - Official site of Stephen Fry
- Snapchat like the teens
- Becket (1964 film) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
- Reconcilable Differences #19: Four Toes - Relay FM
This week, John and Merlin start out by talking about the value of exposing yourself to new or uncomfortable ideas (and how it can be difficult).
- Elgato Home | elgato.com
- Hauppauge Computer Works - watch TV on your PC! Or record HD game play or from cable or satellite TV!
- EyeTV Hybrid | elgato.com
- Hauppauge Computer Works : WinTV-HVR-955Q Product Description
- Pusheen the cat
- Emotional intelligence - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Emotional intelligence (EI) or emotional quotient (EQ) is the capability of individuals to recognize their own, and other people's emotions, to discriminate between different feelings and label them appropriately, and to use emotional information to guide thinking and behavior.
- Fraser Speirs
- Fraser Speirs (@fraserspeirs) | Twitter
- Jaime Green - On Opening Jars & Self Compassion
- Nextwave - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
- Fear Agent - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
- Rick Remender - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
- Phineas and Ferb - My Nemesis Full Song with Lyrics - YouTube
- Jim Dale reads Harry Potter in B&N party [Part 1 of 6] - YouTube
- YES. THAT WAS THE JOKE.
- Harry Potter Hogwarts Knit Hat & Scarf Set | HarryPotterShop.com
- “Did You Lose the Keys Here?” “No, But the Light Is Much Better Here” | Quote Investigator
Brought to you by:
Squarespace (Visit Squarespace.com/backtowork and use the code ITSYOURSHOW for a free trial and 10% off).
GoToWebinar (Get started with GoToWebinar today You focus on the content. GoToWebinar handles the rest. Visit the link today to learn more).