TOPIC: Procrastination is a life sentence.
This week, after some high-level discussion on the topics of Marvel and media reduxes, Dan and Merlin (maaaaybe) wrap up their initial and very positive impressions of iOS 9 on modern Apple devices.
More fawning talk of Siri, plus tips on easily adding items to Reminders and Notes.
Dan also lays out his freeing new philosophy and implementations for doing sane email on an iPad.
Then, Merlin goes off a little on why constantly feeling bad about yourself is a terrible idea.
Links for this episode:
- Beyonce buys The Big Lebowski mansion | EW.com
Perhaps the most unfortunate thing about Beyonce not giving interviews anymore is that no one has had the chance to ask her about her love for The Big Lebowski. The iconic singer, who once sampled a French dub of Maude Lebowski’s (Julianne Moore) monologue about feminism in her song “Partition,” has reportedly purchased the mansion seen in the film.
- Pro Art 8.5" x 11" 20 lb. (75 gsm) 3D Graph Paper 50 Sheet Tape Bound Pad - C2F, Inc. - Wholesale Art Supply Distributor
- Amazon.com : VELA Graph Paper, 8.5 x 11, 65 Loose Sheets, Premium 24lb Heavyweight Paper, Class-2 'Optimized' Paper (Isometric Grid Variation) : Office Products
- Cloudlifter CL-1 | Cloud Microphones | "Elevate Your Sound"
- The Incomparable | Love Machine (Episode 205)
In the long tradition of big, giant robots came 1999’s “The Iron Giant,” the film Brad Bird made before he made “The Incredibles.” It was kind of a flop in its initial release, but this animated feature has become rightfully recognized as a classic. We debate the Giant’s original purpose, break down a surprisingly large succession of poop jokes, and ponder the Giant’s ultimate destiny to be the benevolent robot-king of Iceland.
- Iron Man 2 (2010) - IMDb
- 5by5 | Hypercritical #45: Star Wars is Not a Blog Post
John Siracusa and Dan Benjamin follow up on a host of topics: what ails Microsoft, the (slow, partial) democratization of corporate IT, the people vs. George Lucas, perpetual copyright, applications as art, Siri backlash, and the evils of Blu-ray.
- Reconcilable Differences #11: Frog Board Room - Relay FM
The ball really gets rolling when John ruefully updates us on the stressful state of renovations to his house—and how his quest for quality collides with whatever passes for quote-unquote craftsmanship today.
- Random Trek | "The Corbomite Maneuver" (TOS) with Clayton Morris (Episode 72)
Clayton Morris, news guy, podcaster, and speaker, joins Scott to discuss the classic Original Series episode The Corbomite Maneuver (TOS S1E2). Topics discussed include the evolution of space exercise equipment, the ton of interesting shots used in this episode, space salads, and the horrible fate of Dave Bailey. Plus salient points on how odd looking, but well cast, Clint Howard is (we say it with love, Clint).
- How Well Can You Hear Audio Quality? : The Record : NPR
- Todd Vaziri (@tvaziri) | Twitter
- 5by5 | Back to Work #241: We Went to Princeton
This week, Dan and Merlin talk about Dan's new iPad Air 2 and continue their discussion of how much iOS 9 on modern devices is already changing how we do our work.Also, some nerdy updates on how Merlin uses synced text files via Drafts, Editorial, and nvALT.
- Jeff Lynne celebrates ELO's 40th anniversary by re-recording new versions of old songs · Newswire · The A.V. Club
“I’m not saying the old versions aren’t good
- Jeff Lynne - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
- How Squeeze seized the keys to their back catalogue | Music | The Guardian
Of course there is a commercial element to be considered, which is that when the songs are deployed by Universal we only see a small percentage of the income. They might argue that they took the initial risk financially and are now reaping the rewards – that's business. But we have no control and most of our records, besides the hits, aren't available either on CD or on iTunes.
- ONoffON - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
- Mission Of Burma - The Setup - YouTube
- Tonight (The Move) - YouTube
- Superheroes a 'cultural catastrophe', says comics guru Alan Moore | Books | The Guardian
Watchmen author tells interviewer that they have become a dangerous distraction, and that he plans to withdraw from public life
- "Broken Meetings (and how you'll fix them)" on Vimeo
- Iron Man 2 (2010) - Rotten Tomatoes
Brought to you by:
- Squarespace (Visit Squarespace.com/BackToWork and use the code ITSYOURSHOW for a free trial and 10% off your new website)
- lynda (Visit lynda.com/backtowork to get free 10-day trial access to their 3,000+ courses)
- Warby Parker (Visit WarbyParker.com/Dan to get free 3 day shipping on your brand new frames).