TOPIC: LEGO and Expertise
This week, Dan and Merlin talk about LEGO and what becoming a Master Builder can teach us about expertise.
Also: tooth fairies, binder clips, and the pedagogical warning shot.
WARNING: This episode of B2W contains information about holiday-related personalities that may be of a sensitive nature. Listener discretion is advised.
Links for this episode:
- How Much Good Is Antibacterial Soap Doing You? - YouTube
- It's Been 25 Years Since World Wide Web Debuted : NPR
Since then it's transformed daily life. To look back at how far the web has evolved and where it may be headed in the next 25 years, Renee Montagne talks to Kevin Kelly, a founder of Wired magazine.
- To Keep Teenagers Alert, Schools Let Them Sleep In - NYTimes.com
New evidence suggests that later high school starts have widespread benefits.
- Life as a LEGO Professional
- Twitter / danbenjamin: Serious question and something ...
Serious question and something to think about: have you ever bought a LEGO set and found a piece missing? Me: never once in my entire life.
- Dreyfus model of skill acquisition - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
In the fields of education and operations research, the Dreyfus model of skill acquisition is a model of how students acquire skills through formal instruction and practicing. Brothers Stuart and Hubert Dreyfus proposed the model in 1980 in an influential, 18-page report on their research at the University of California, Berkeley, Operations Research Center for the United States Air Force Office of Scientific Research. The original model proposes that a student passes through five distinct stages: novice, competence, proficiency, expertise, and mastery.
- Zotero | Groups > Research on Teaching in Higher Education Online > Library > A Five Stage Model of the Mental Activities Involved in Directed Skill Acquisition
- [PDF] Five-Stage Model of the Mental Activities Involved in Directed Skill Acquisition.
(PDF of the original 1980 paper by the Dreyfus brothers)
- lego : Shutterstock Stock Photography
- Four stages of competence - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
- Amazon.com : LEGO Star Wars Millennium Falcon 7965 : Toy Interlocking Building Sets : Toys & Games
Kids ages 9 to 14 will be happy the old man got the tractor beam out of commission when they blast off with the Millennium Falcon LEGO Star Wars Set. Straight from the Death Star escape scene of Episode IV: A New Hope, this replica of Han Solo's iconic starship is crafted from more than 1,200 LEGO pieces for a detailed, articulating display. With twin flick missiles, rotating laser cannons, and detachable cockpit cover, this Millennium Falcon set's got more than a few surprises left in it.
- Amazon.com : LEGO Star Wars 75030 Millennium Falcon : Toys & Games
Enter a mini LEGO Star Wars universe with the Millennium Falcon microfighter. This fun mini version of the fastest ship in the galaxy features a quad laser cannon with 2 flick missiles and a mini cockpit on top for Han Solo to sit in! Engage the hyperdrive and get after those Imperial ships! Includes a Han Solo minifigure with a blaster pistol.
- I wanna tell you about the princess I invented.... | kung fu grippe
"I wanna tell you about the princess I invented…"
- Amazon.com : LEGO Star Wars 75032 X-Wing Fighter : Toys & Games
Fight mini LEGO Star Wars battles in space with the cool X-Wing Fighter microfighter. This great micro-version of the iconic Rebel star fighter has a surprising level of detail, like moveable wings, 4 flick missiles, Astromech Droid section and a mini cockpit for the X-Wing Pilot to sit in! Fuel up and get ready for mini-sized combat. Includes an X-Wing Pilot minifigure with a blaster pistol.
- Amazon.com : LEGO Star Wars 75031 TIE Interceptor : Toys & Games
Play out your own miniature LEGO Star Wars space battles with the TIE Interceptor microfighter. This fun version of the real Imperial starfighter crams in lots of details, including 2 flick missiles and a mini cockpit for the TIE Fighter Pilot to sit in! So jump on and prepare for mini battle. Includes a TIE Fighter Pilot with a blaster pistol.
- Amazon.com : LEGO Superheroes 76015 Doc Ock Truck Heist : Toys & Games
Doctor Octopus needs money, diamonds and gold to finance his evil plans. so he decides to make a cash withdrawal, bad guy style! Use his adjustable arms to rip the roof off the money truck and while the truck driver sprints for safety, blow open the back with the dynamite and secret button. But what's this? Spider-Man has spotted Doc Ock and swoops in to save the day! Can he tie him up with his super-strong spider web? Includes 3 minifigures: Spider-Man, Doc Ock and a truck driver.
- Amazon.com : LEGO Star Wars Ultimate Collector's Millennium Falcon : Toy Interlocking Building Sets : Toys & Games
Get ready to battle the dark side with the Ultimate Collector's Millennium Falcon, Lego Star Wars Set 10179. One of Lucas Licensing's favorite Star Wars models in 2007, this replica of Han Solo's famous starship is crafted from over 5,000 Lego pieces. With so many little pieces and such unbelievable detailing, the Millennium Falcon is recommended for advanced Lego builders ages 16 and up.
- Amazon.com : LEGO Star Wars Death Star (10188) : Toy Interlocking Building Sets : Toys & Games
Battle inside the Death StarTM! Recreate the action and adventure of the Star WarsTM movies with the ultimate Death Star playset! This amazingly detailed battle station features an incredible array of minifigure-scale scenes, moving parts, characters and accessories from Episodes IV and VI on its multiple decks, including the Death Star control room, rotating turbolaser turrets, hangar bay with TIE Advanced starfighter, tractor beam controls, Emperor's throne room, detention block, firing laser cannon, Imperial conference chamber, droid maintenance facility, and the powerful Death Star superlaser...plus much more! Swing across the chasm with Luke and Leia, face danger in the crushing trash compactor, and duel with Darth Vader for the fate of the galaxy! Reenact the final duel between Luke Skywalker and Darth Vader in the Emperor's Throne Room! Death Star measures 16" (41cm) tall and 16?" (42cm) wide! TIE Advanced measures 3?" (9cm) wide! Rescue Princess Leia from the detention block cell, then escape through the secret hatch to the trash compactor below!
- Amazon.com : LEGO Movie 70808 Super Cycle Chase : Toys & Games
- Bacon Method
MAKE PERFECT, CRISPY BACON EVERY TIME
- SFUSD: Restorative Practices
Restorative Practices are based on principles that emphasize the importance of positive relationships as central to building community and involve processes that restore relationships when harm has occurred.
- Restorative practices - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Restorative practices is a social science that integrates developments from a variety of disciplines and fields — including education, psychology, social work, criminology, sociology, organizational development and leadership — in order to build healthy communities, increase social capital, decrease crime and antisocial behavior, repair harm and restore relationships.
(Listener-suggested titles for this episode)
- Logos - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Originally a word meaning "a ground", "a plea", "an opinion", "an expectation", "word", "speech", "account", "reason", it became a technical term in philosophy, beginning with Heraclitus (ca. 535–475 BC), who used the term for a principle of order and knowledge.
- SRA Reading Materials
The levelled approach of this programme helps you get the most from every minute of learning time.
- Zero for Conduct (1933)
In a repressive boarding school with rigid rules of behavior, four boys decide to rebel against the direction on a celebration day.
- The LEGO Book: Daniel Lipkowitz: 9780756666934: Amazon.com: Books
- LEGO.com About Us About the LEGO Group - The LEGO Group - The LEGO history
The name 'LEGO' is an abbreviation of the two Danish words "leg godt", meaning "play well". It’s our name and it’s our ideal.
- Super Cycle! And it only took us three hours to... | kung fu grippe
And it only took us three hours to assemble.We are so master builders.
- Slaughterhouse-Five - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Slaughterhouse-Five, or The Children's Crusade: A Duty-Dance with Death (1969) is a satirical novel by Kurt Vonnegut about World War II experiences and journeys through time of a soldier named Billy Pilgrim. It is generally recognized as Vonnegut's most influential and popular work. Vonnegut's use of the firebombing of Dresden as a central event makes the novel semi-autobiographical, as he was present during the bombing.
- Equestria Girls - Helping Twilight Win the Crown [HD] [Bluray] + MP3 - YouTube
- Makebelieve Help, Old Butchers, and Figuring Out Who You Are (For Now) on Vimeo
- Are You An Expert?
This week’s episode of Back to Work is kindly sponsored by:
- Harry’s (Add a 4-pack of blades to your cart then apply the discount code and you will get the 4 pack of blades for free with discount code “
- FreshBooks (60-day free trial. Tell ’em you heard about it on “
Back to Work”)
- Squarespace (10% off with offer code, “
- Shutterstock (25% off everything with discount code, “