TOPIC: Grit, Confidence, and Intuition.
This week, Dan and Merlin begin a conversation on what researchers and educators are learning about why students of all ages do or don't succeed. Yes, it's about intelligence and other cognitive skills, but it's also about tenacity, courage, self-restraint, and resolve.
It's really about grit.
See our show notes for lots of links to the stuff that inspired our topic, but definitely tune in for Merlin's slight addendum to the formula: mixing in our growing confidence in our own intuition.
Links for this episode:
- Back to School | This American Life
- What if the Secret to Success Is Failure? - NYTimes.com
- kung fu grippe • [MP3] Back to School | This American Life ...
- How Children Succeed: Grit,Curiosity,and the Hidden Power of Character: Paul Tough: 9780547564654: Amazon.com: Books
- Paul Tough - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
- What Makes a Good Teacher? - NYTimes.com
- ‘How Children Succeed,’ by Paul Tough - NYTimes.com
- Amazon.com: Seven (Single Disc Edition): Brad Pitt, Morgan Freeman, Gwyneth Paltrow, John C. McGinley, Darius Khondji, David Fincher, Arnold Kopelson, Phyllis Carlyle, Gianni Nunnari, Dan Kolsrud, Anne Kopelson, Andrew Kevin Walker: Movies & TV
- Amazon.com: Seven: Brad Pitt, Morgan Freeman, Gwyneth Paltrow, John C. McGinley: Amazon Instant Video
- General Educational Development - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
- Grit (personality trait) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
- Teams - Back to Work
- EXCLUSIVE - Waffle House grill cook cheat sheet | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
- The J-Walk Blog: Waffle House Code Cracked
- [SPONSOR] Igloo Software (Check out our **amazing** "Back to Work" community)
- Grit, character and academic success: thoughtlessness, part 3 « Granted, but…
- Response: An Interview With Paul Tough On Character & Schools - Classroom Q&A With Larry Ferlazzo - Education Week Teacher
- 'Children Succeed' With Character, Not Test Scores : NPR
- How Children Succeed book excerpt: What the most boring test in the world tells us about motivation and IQ. - Slate Magazine
- Why kids need to fail to succeed in school - The Globe and Mail
- The Future of Self-Improvement, Part I: Grit Is More Important Than Talent :: Articles :: 99U
- The Importance of Being Earnest by Oscar Wilde - Project Gutenberg
- Lady Windermere's Fan by Oscar Wilde - Project Gutenberg
- The Importance of Being Earnest - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
- I have nothing to declare but my genius
- Sleep Cycle Alarm Clock for iOS
- Your Nice New Outfit
- Your Nice New Outfit: Archive
- Your Nice New Outfit | Jean 1977
- Your Nice New Outfit | Kitty and Lockheed
- Giant-Size X-Mann
- Monday is D day for bags, a dime apiece - SFGate
- fastball special - Google Search
- Fastball Special - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
- Dock Ellis - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
- Se7en (1995) - IMDb
- Aggressive S.F. panhandlers, tourist complaints up - SFGate
- Oscar Wilde's 1895 Martyrdom
- Your Nice New Outfit
- Yummy, Yummy X-Men | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
- Structured Procrastination
- Here's The Thing: Chris Rock - WNYC
This week's episode of Back to Work is sponsored by Igloo Software. Check out our amazing B2W community site!