Merlin and Dan use The Aviator as a jumping-off point to talk about OCD as it relates to perfectionism, creativity, and drive in the workplace. They discuss rituals and their consequences, the importance of mise en place, and eliminating disruptive processes.
Also, Merlin invokes the term "workflows".
Links for this episode:
- 5by5 | Back to Work #221: Minimally Viable Interruption
TOPIC: Time, Stones, and Giving Yourself a BreakJust…give yourself permission to not feel like a dick today. Especially if you think you don't deserve it.
- Outside the Lines: An Artists' Coloring Book for Giant Imaginations: Souris Hong-Porretta: 9780399162084: Amazon.com: Books
- Netflix June 2015: What's Coming? What's Going?
The Aviator (June 1): Martin Scorsese and Leonardo DiCaprio team up for a sweeping Howard Hughes biopic.
- Stanley Kubrick's Boxes (TV Movie 2008) - IMDb
- Stanley Kubrick: A Life in Pictures (2001) - IMDb
- Mise en place - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
a French phrase which meant "putting in place", as in set up. It is used in professional kitchens to refer to organising and arranging the ingredients (e.g., cuts of meat, relishes, sauces, par-cooked items, spices, freshly chopped vegetables, and other components) that a cook will require for the menu items that are expected to be prepared during a shift.
- For A More Ordered Life, Organize Like A Chef : The Salt : NPR
The system that makes kitchens go is called mise-en-place, or, literally, "put in place." It's a French phrase that means to gather and arrange the ingredients and tools needed for cooking.
- Ratatouille (2007) - IMDb
- Johnny Carson: The First King Of Late Night - Esquire
- How It All Began: A Brief History of the Kitchen Brigade - Food - The Austin Chronicle
Sponsored by Casper (Visit the link and enter the code BACKTOWORK for $50 toward your new mattress purchase), PDFpen Scan+ by Smile Software (Visit the link to learn more and start scanning documents to your mobile device), Wealthfront (Visit the link and get your first $10,000 managed for free), and JustWorks (Let JustWorks handle your benefits, payroll, and HR by visiting the link and using the code 'backtowork' when you sign up to get 15% off your first year).